The vernal equinox means dark, milk, white chocolate, or any combination of the three (the equinox is the point between the solstices, when the night lasts about as long as the day). These bitesized bars have an Oreo crust and swirls of cheesecake on top. The base is around 75% Oreos and 25% Belvita breakfast biscuits, but you can use most type of biscuits for a different flavour.
As this has a significant chocolate flavour, opt for good quality chocolate if you can – 35% cocoa solids and above is a good benchmark. Dr Oetker makes good baking chocolate without the insane price tag of some artisan brands.
- 120g Oreo/graham cracker crumbs
- 50g butter, melted
- 225g cream cheese
- 180g plain yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 60g caster sugar
- 30g flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 55g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F, grease an 8" x 8" square pan.
- Crush the biscuits and stir in the melted butter.
- Press into the pan and bake for 9 mins until lightly golden.
- Beat the cream cheese, egg whites, yogurt, vanilla extract, sugar and flour until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, then mix in ⅓ of the cheesecake batter so you have one white and one dark batch of batter.
- Spread over the base in layers - ie: chocolate->plain->chocolate until all the batter is used.
- Swirl with a spatula, then bake for 20 mins.
- Cover with foil and bake for another 5 mins.
- Chill before slicing.