These sunset coloured cupcakes are flavoured with layers of pineapple, coconut and orange and an awesome chance to use cocktail umbrellas!
Hawaiian Sunset Cupcakes
Author: Harry Jennerway
- 115g butter
- 120g caster sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 2 eggs
- 175g flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Dash salt
- 120ml pineapple juice
- 120ml sour cream
- Food colouring: red, yellow, orange
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- ½ tsp orange extract
- ½ tsp pineapple extract
- 100g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut rum/tropical liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F, prepare 14 cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl, then add to the mixture.
- In another bowl, mix the pineapple juice and sour cream.
- Mix the wet dry ingredients in two additions.
- Split the mixture into 4 bowls - bowl 1: red with coconut extract, orange with orange extract and yellow with coconut extract. Leave one bowl untinted.
- Fill each cupcake case with red->orange->yellow->white.
- Bake for ~20 mins until springy.
- Cream the butter for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Stir in the icing sugar, then beat on high speed.
- Add the vanilla extract and rum.
- Fill a piping bag and pipe swirls over the cooled cakes.
pineapple, rum, summer, tropical