Everyone loves things on sticks – lollipops, hot dogs, kebabs… cake is no exception. These cake pops are a light coconut and ginger sponge coated in white chocolate and sprinkled with desiccated coconut.
cakepops, coconut, ginger
Coconut & Ginger Bites
Author: Harry Jennerway
- 140g (1c) wholemeal flour
- Dash salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 eggs
- 100g (1/2c) light brown sugar
- 50g (1/4c) caster sugar
- 80ml (1/3c) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
- White chocolate cream cheese frosting
- 150g candy melts/white chocolate
- ~80g desiccated coconut
- Cocktail/lollipop sticks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F, grease either a cupcake tray or rectangular baking tin. The size doesn't really matter as you'll be breaking it up after baking anyway.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugars, ginger, vanilla/coconut extracts and melted coconut oil.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, without overmixing. You should have a fairly thick batter.
- Fill the pan and bake for 10-12 mins until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before assembling.
Frosting and Coating
- Crumble the cooled cake in a large bowl.
- Mix in about ¼ of a batch of white chocolate cream cheese frosting until you can form a ball. Don't add too much or you'll end up with mush.
- Roll the cake into balls and place on a sheet of foil.
- Freeze for 30 mins until hardened.
- Meanwhile, melt the candy melts/white chocolate for coating, lay out another sheet of foil for them to cool on. If you put them on a wire rack to cool you'll end up breaking the bottom off when you try to remove them.
- Insert a lollipop stick into each semi-frozen ball and roll in white chocolate.
- Sprinkle desiccated coconut over the top. I found it easier to sprinkle the coconut over the white chocolate than to roll the chocolate coated cake ball in coconut. The latter ended up getting messy quickly.