Somewhere between a pecan pie and a macaroon, Gizzada is a Jamaican coconut tart which has a spiced coconut and brown sugar filling on top of a pastry crust.
Author: Harry Jennerway
Serves: 2 x 12cm tarts
- 185g plain flour
- 130g butter
- 10g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 130ml water
- 160g desiccated coconut
- 200g brown sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 25g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Pulse all of the ingredients in a food processor to resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Add as little water as necessary to get the dough to start to come together.
- Wrap in plastic and chill overnight.
- Roll out the pastry to ~3mm thick.
- Drape the pastry over the tart tin and trim the sides.
- Pick with a fork, line with foil and baking beans and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove the beans and bake for 5 more mins until cooked but not brown.
- Boil all of the ingredients except the egg for ~5 mins until a thick syrup forms. Keep stirring to prevent it sticking and burning.
- Remove from the heat and cool briefly before beating in the egg.
- Fill each tart case with filling and sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing.