This tart has apple puree and home grown plums on top and is a good way to use up extra fruit from summer.
Apple and Plum Tart
Author: Harry Jennerway
- 185g plain flour
- 130g butter
- 10g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Dash salt
- 2 tbsp ice water
- 300ml water
- 250g honey
- 500g plums
- 2 apples
- Sprinkle of brown sugar
- Pulse everything in a food processor just long enough for a dough to form.
- Gather into a ball and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F, grease a tart tin.
- Boil the water and honey, then simmer with the plums for 2-5 mins. The plums should still be fairly firm after simmering.
- Remove the plums to drain but keep the water.
- Peel and slice the apples and simmer in the water until soft.
- Roll out the pastry and line the tart tin. Prick the bottom with a fork. †
- Spread the apples over the base, then arrange the plums on top - skin down.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20-30 mins until golden brown.
† It may be worth part-baking the crust, as the apple filling is quite wet and the plums naturally release juice during cooking.