This is a fancy version of Mr Kipling’s classic. Raspberry and almond flavoured cookie base with jam and flaked almonds on top.
Archive for Jam
Eton Mess is a combination of strawberries, meringue and cream and is usually served in a glass. These cupcakes are a twist on that – speckled with chopped strawberries, stuffed with strawberry jam, frosted with strawberry frosting and sprinkled with Dr. Oetker Eton Mess Meringue sprinkles.
Didn’t need much thickening, this one set to a decent consistency after 20 mins of boiling.
- 400g peaches (about 3 large)
- 200g kiwis (about 3 medium)
- 700g jam sugar
- 60ml lemon juice
- 3 vanilla pods
- Peel and chop the peaches and kiwis.
- Boil in a pan with the jam sugar and lemon juice.
- Use a potato masher to mashup up any big chunks.
- After 10 mins or so, add the vanilla pods. Carry on boiling/stirring until thick and jammy, then ladle into clean jars.
- Boil, submerged, in a waterbath for 10 mins.
Strawberries are cheap and I always end up with way more than I can eat. Throw a couple of kiwis and some ginger in with them for about 8x 8fl oz pots.
Rich and great with cheese, this is easy to make and packed full of spices. The ginger wasn’t particularly strong though, so I’d add more next time.
- 25g fresh root ginger, grated
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 250g eating apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 100g pitted dates, chopped
- 100g dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ tbsp mustard seed
- ½ tbsp curry powder
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 350g rhubarb, sliced into 2cm chunks
- 250g red onions
- Boil the onions, ginger and vinegar. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the rhubarb, plus 2 tsp salt to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring.
- Simmer for ~10 mins until the apples are tender.
- Stir in the rhubarb and cook until the thick and jammy (15-20 mins).
- Spoon into sterilized jars, and seal.
Strong ginger compliments the pears well in the recipe. Makes about 6x 8fl oz jars.
An excuse to buy champagne. You can substitute it water if you’re not into alcohol though.